Sunday, December 25, 2011


Incisions five weeks post surgery 12/25/11
If you're still with me I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas. Didn't think I'd be spending my second Christmas in a row recovering from back surgery...but that's the way it goes.

Overall the past few days have been pretty good. I went to work for almost six hours on Friday (23rd), then grocery shopping, which was quite a harrowing experience. Everyone running around paying no attention to other human beings...and those of us with back surgery on our mind and body. I almost left the store because I was so afraid of being knocked into. Sounds very high-falootin', doesn't it? But you'd understand if you were in my position. Those little bumps magnify to your back and are quite painful sometimes.

Yesterday (24th) was my best day yet since surgery. Literally no pain or discomfort for most of my waking hours. I was able to 'work' in the yard for a couple of hours. That work consisted of picking up sticks/twigs with my handle Grip-n-Grab and putting them in the trash can. And I did some supervising of my dear husband as he weeded one of the flower beds. Yes, it is still in the 80's here in Florida and things are still growing gangbusters. Also used my lightweight (bought after last years surgery) leafblower to get the leaves off the front porch and driveway. It felt good, both mentally and physically, to 'get back in the yard'. Of course, I ruined a great day by trying to max and relax, as my husband says, on the living room couch. I honestly thought my back was ready for the cushy wasn't...and in a bad way. I barely lay down for ten seconds and knew it wasn't right and tried to get up. Had to leverage myself on my side and  push off a chair at the edge of the couch. My husband was right there in case I rolled off the couch. That set off a chain of events in my back that led to a lot of pain at the new fusion level and in my right hip. I hit my bed after two extra strength Tylenol...getting up two hours later to take a Vicodin. step forward, two back. On a bright note, I had a fairly good night's sleep. Maybe I was knew I had to sleep because Santa wouldn't visit if I was awake.

Five weeks post surgery I am slowly getting back into a normal daily routine, even making a full dinner the past two nights. I'm walking a minumum of two miles a day, doing at least sixty stairs daily and keeping up with all my leg lifts and stationary marches. I've added a hamstring stretch against the wall and that feels really good. I'm still having a hard time putting on my socks from either the standing or sitting position. My back muscles get quite tense and sore after I've been moving for a few hours. My legs get quite weak after walking for a period of time, although my cardio is just fine. I'm trying to figure that one out. It's something I'm going to ask my surgeon about during my January 9th follow up. Otherwise I feel I am progressing at a decent pace and am so thankful for this.


  1. Hey, I've never commented before, but happy christmas to you too, and I'm glad to hear things are progressing slowly but surely. All the best!

  2. Thanks for your good wishes. I have read your blog and really enjoy(ed) it. Didn't you also have a spinal fusion? Best to you also in the coming year...