Saturday, December 31, 2011

OUTLASTING THE DAY

I made it!! Yes, I did my entire two-plus walking miles tonight without having to make a pit stop for an energy recharge! All that on top of going to Winter Park (Florida) this morning to view an exhibit at Polasek Gardens, have lunch at Panera Bread with my dear husband of almost twenty-six years and to walk about ten blocks doing some after Christmas shopping. Yeah for me, I was able to sit for about 45 minutes in one of those high padded stools at a table while eating...and I had no pain!! I even had a somewhat comfortable thirty mile ride to our destination...and back. Seems like I'm ending the year on a good note. Not to say that the year has been bad. It hasn't. I'm still healing very well from my October 2010 back surgery fusion and I'm on the road to healing from this current surgery. There have been some serious downs during the past fourteen months, but they, thankfully, don't outweigh the ups.

I did buy a new pair of walking shoes today. Doesn't seem like a big deal to those who have not had back surgery, but it's a major thing to me. I've been wearing a particular type of walking shoe for nearly eight years...not the same pair of course. I love the brand, comfort and price. But, woe is me, they are no longer made...so I stopped at my favorite shoe store on the way home from Winter Park and was able to find a comparable pair. They are comfortable, but they are different. Different enough that they did cause a bit of muscle pain in my low back as I was walking this afternoon. I don't think, though, that they will cause an permanent problem while walking. Hopefully I've found my new 'favorite' walking shoes. If so I'll be going back and buying several pairs.

As with last year, I've noticed that there are times throughout the day when I literally feel no discomfort or pain in my back. It's a good feeling to not be constantly reminded of the surgical trauma and resulting titanium screws and rods that have invaded my body. Sometimes I almost feel 'normal'. The new normal though. I know that eventually I will have back to back days that there won't even be a twinge of anything in my back to remind me of the surgery. But until then I do pray for the strength to mentally and physically get through all the tough times.

At the advice of a friend, I tried Tylenol PM (a generic form) last night to help with sleep. I only took 1/2 of a pill along with 1 extra strength Tylenol (a generic form). I did sleep very well and was even able to sleep for a bit on my left side with a  pillow between my legs. That is a milestone for me!! Of course this evening, with all the early New Years revelers lighting off all sorts of illegal fireworks well into the new morning hours, sleep might be elusive regardless the sleep aid.

Stay safe this night...see you in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment